As part of our ongoing advocacy work, Ride Illinois has recently reviewed upcoming IDOT road projects planned over the next five years in IDOT Districts 5 and 8 which includes Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, and East Central Illinois areas, and Metro East and Southwestern Illinois areas. We have drafted letters (linked below) asking IDOT for improved bicycling conditions when they work on these road projects. Our requests focus on priority locations and are meant to provide input at an appropriate level for the scope of these scheduled projects. If you live in one of these areas, please take a moment to read our letters and let us know if you have further suggestions by emailing us at email@example.com.
Ride Illinois is committed to helping communities around the state use road project opportunities like these to improve their bicycling conditions. We’re working closely with state and local agencies to “get it right” at the early stages, and speaking up for bicyclists about locations that need to be fixed. Please consider supporting our work by becoming a member or making a donation today. Your support is critical to our success.
IDOT District 5
– Illinois 9, far west Bloomington – resurfacing project
– Illinois 9 (Locust, Empire) through Bloomington – resurfacing project
– Veterans Parkway in Bloomington and Normal – resurfacing project
East Central Illinois:
– Illinois 1 in and near Paris – resurfacing project
– Bridge replacements over Interstate 57 at Mattis Ave, Bloomington Rd, and Bradley Ave and over Interstate 74 at Mattis Ave in Champaign.
– Bridge deck replacements over Interstate 57 at 2500N west of Thomasboro and at 600N/County Road 17 between Tolono and Sadorus, and White Heath Rd over I-72.
– Resurfacing projects in Champaign of Springfield Ave between Staley and Mattis, Springfield and Wright between Prospect and University, and Bloomington Rd between Mattis and Prospect.
IDOT District 8
Metro East and Southwestern Illinois:
– IL161 resurfacing from Scott AFB to Mascoutah
– Greenmount Rd additional lanes and resurfacing in Belleville
– US50 resurfacing in and east of Lebanon
– US40 resurfacing from Pocohontas to Mulberry Grove
– US67 construct bypass in Delhi
– IL13 resurfacing from Freeburg to New Athens
– IL3 resurfacing from Monroe County line to Ruma (through Red Bud)
– IL160 resurfacing from Trenton to New Memphis
Photo credit: Mike McCurdy, Bike BloNo